We are pleased to share that Seaspan Ship Management Ltd. Vancouver has gained ISO 14001:2015 certification for Ship Management Services for Container and Dry Cargo Ships (shore operations), in addition to our existing ISO 9001:2015 certification.
Despite the impact of the global COVID-19 crisis, the audit was able to proceed as scheduled thanks to DNV GL’s industry first remote survey services. Stage 1 began on April 14, 2020. The final audit concluded on June 12, 2020, with no deficiencies or recommendations for improvement – but with seven observations of best practices.
“This result is confirmation of Seaspan’s operational excellence, and a testament to the strong cross-functional efforts from all parts of the organization, led by our Marine Standards department” said Torsten Pedersen, Chief Operating Officer of Seaspan Corporation. “The certification is an initial marker for our future ESG efforts at Seaspan. We look forward to building further on this success in the months to come.”
What is ISO 14001?
- The most recognized international standard for environmental management systems. It provides a framework for organizations looking to identify and control their environmental impact.
- Used worldwide by several hundred thousand companies
- Demonstrates commitment to environmental impact.
- Increased awareness gives environmentally credible companies a competitive edge.
- Regulators recognize the value of the ISO 14001
ISO 14001 specifies requirements for how to:
- Identify and understand the environmental aspects & how risks can be managed
- Manage our obligation to comply with legal environmental requirements
- Establish our environmental policy in line with our strategic direction
- Continually improve our management system
ISO 14001 certification:
- Proves that our environmental management system has been measured against the standard and found compliant.
- ISO 14001 is compatible and harmonized with ISO 9001:2015 management system standards